Friday, July 29, 2011

(Sometimes I’m convinced that when I type things how they make sense to me, they don’t stand a chance of making sense to anyone else. Oh well…)

Every now and then, I have these “revelations” about what getting married means. They’re usually at very random times. Like the other day I was using the toaster oven at my grandparent’s house and I noticed all the crumbs at the bottom and I thought to myself, “One day, I’ll own my own toaster oven, and I’ll have to clean the crumbs out of the bottom.” Weird right?

It’s kind of funny the things I think of. Greg probably thinks I’m a weirdo when I tell him about them. But holy cow! Being married means taking on a lot of responsibility (*Disclaimer*: I knew this before I made the decision to get married. I wasn’t just like, “Ooooh, being married sounds fun!” Give me some credit here people). Still, in spite of already knowing that marriage means really growing up, it still surprises me in some ways.

That nasty ring around the toilet? Can’t for someone else to clean it! Oh no, we’re out of toilet paper? Can’t wait for someone else to buy it! My car breaks down? Can’t wait for my parents to pay to get it fixed! I want our home to be decorated? Can’t wait for someone else to do it! That pile of dishes? Can’t wait for someone else to put them away! (Obviously Greg will help with the cleaning. He’s not that much of a chauvinist).

I feel like I’ve always done a pretty good job of being clean and taking care of myself. And I think cleaning with be a million times better when you don’t have to clean up stupid roommate’s messes. But being married will take it to a whole new level (does anyone else besides me use the phrase “a whole nother?” It definitely doesn’t type out very well). Greg and I will be responsible for a home, all of the bills (no more splitting with roommates), cleaning… and one day we’ll be responsible for actual little humans!

This marriage thing most certainly isn’t frivolous fun. (It is fun – just not frivolous fun  )

Greg and I get married in approximately 21 days 20 hours 50 minutes (not that I have a countdown on my homepage). It’s fun to think about living with my best friend, coming home to him, seeing him when I wake up in the morning, calling him my husband, participating in married hand-holding (yes, I did have a church leader who called it that- awkward), not having a curfew, etc. But I’m really glad that I realize all the effort that it will take. I think people who don’t realize how much responsibility they’re taking on with a marriage are in for a rude awakening. Obviously I’ve never been married so I can’t fully understand what it will be like. But I’d like to think I’m a very practical and realistic person.

It’s just surprising to me how there are certain things I’ve always known have to change when I get married. For instance, we can’t let anyone else make our decisions for us. We need to remove that desire to always to what our parents want and we need to focus on what making our own decisions. It just shocks me sometimes how close I am to being married – It’s always been a matter of “when I’m married, I’ll….” But soon I’ll be married and those things won’t just be decisions anymore. They’ll need to be actions.

Anyways, Greg is great. I was just joking when I called him a chauvinist.

PS Two marriage posts in a row!? I apologize
PPS Jessica Callahan, congrats on taking the MCAT!

2 comments:

  1. Megan, I really appreciate your posts on marriage. Because... most people will just go on and on about their wedding. But what about after that? What happens next? Does anyone really think about that during the hustle and bustle of wedding planning? Marriage is a partnership. It's forever. It's figuring out and working through things together. And I love reading your thoughts about it.

    PS. Thanks for that PPS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're thinking of all of this, because I didn't really, and it was a bit of an adjustment (to put it mildly) getting used to doing ALL the cleaning, errands, decision-making, decorating, buying, fixing, etc., ourselves. I wasn't really ready to not have parents to pick up my slack, I think, even though I'd lived at college for three years. It's just not quite the same.

    ReplyDelete