Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My Opinion on Recent Events

I've read so many facebook statuses and blog posts about Osama bin Laden being shot and killed. I've read news stories about how it was wrong to bury him at see, how it was wrong to shoot him rather than having a trial, how it was wrong that his code name was "Geronimo."

My response- seriously people? Get over yourselves. Why are we so easily offended? We take something and just tear it apart looking for something to get bent out of shape about. I read an article this morning that said:

"Loretta Tuell, staff director and chief counsel for the Senate Indian Affairs Committee, said Tuesday it was inappropriate to link Geronimo, whom she called "one of the greatest Native American heroes," with one of the most hated enemies of the United States.

"These inappropriate uses of Native American icons and cultures are prevalent throughout our society, and the impacts to Native and non-Native children are devastating," Tuell said"

Devastating? That's probably just a little dramatic. And let's be real, I doubt much thought went into the decision to call him Geronimo. It's just a code name. I really don't think someone was like "Let's make Osama's code name be Geronimo because Geronimo was a dirty Native American." Almost any code name they could have named him would have had some link to some thing.

I've read the quote from MLK Jr. on people's statuses and facebooks, you know the one I'm talking about- the one where he says he could never rejoice in the death of an enemy. It's a beautiful quote and I agree that it was a little bizarre for people to go out and celebrate Osama's death - despite being a total dirtbag, he was a person. But I have to admit that I felt a little bit of justice when he was dead. I wouldn't say that I rejoiced or was happy about it, but I felt like it was right. And I don't feel bad for feeling that way.

The last thing I've heard controversy about was his "at sea" burial. Frankly, I don't really care if he received a proper Muslim burial because he wasn't a proper Muslim. If Mormons had a specific death ritual and some guy who considered himself a Mormon but who corrupted everything we believed in didn't have a proper burial... oh well.

Sorry world. No one liked Osama bin Laden. Now stop looking for controversy in every little thing. It's annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment