Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I have three moms.

No, this isn't some weird Mormon polygamist thing. Let me explain.

My mom's name is Sandy. My parents got divorced when I was a baby, so got to see her once every other week while I was growing up. When I was a teenager, I got really busy with dance, and stopped going down there on the weekends. She never complained - she wanted me to be happy. But, despite not seeing each other, we developed a great relationship. We talked on the phone at least once a week, for hours. I would tell her everything, things that I wouldn't tell anyone else. I could always trust her to lend a listening ear, or to give great advice. She taught me how to not care what other people think. She instilled in me my love for games. She taught me to be honest and hardworking. Even though I didn't live with her, she taught me so much and was definitely integral in raising me.

I grew up with my dad and stepmom. My stepmom's name is Robin. As long as I can remember, I've considered her a mom. She married my dad and got my brother and I as a package deal. She went from being single to having a family of four. From what I understand, that was a hard adjustment for her to make. But she came to love us as her own. She was always there to take care of us and always made sure I had the best. Robin is so hardworking as well. She's also a great cook. Our tradition was to watch movies together. When I was a freshman in college, I told her that I wanted her to be there for my wedding in the temple, especially since I knew my mom wouldn't be able to be there. She laughed and asked for me to give her two years to become worthy (mostly because she didn't want me getting married anytime sooner than that haha). She made some difficult sacrifices and was able to go through the temple with me and to be at the temple when Greg and I were married.

And now, I have a third mom - Greg's mom. Jackie is patient and understanding. She understands each of her children and what they need, and she has an open relationship with each of them, a relationship where they can really talk about things. She always supports her children. Jackie has accepted me into her family with open arms and has already taught me so much. I can only hope to be as great of a meal planner and organizer as her! Jackie is so full of compassion and warmth.

I can only hope to turn out as amazing as these women - confident, fun, hardworking, loving, compassionate


1 comment: